The PIER (Port Innovation, Engagement, & Research) is Canada’s first living lab for the transportation sector. Led by Halifax Port Authority (HPA), the PIER includes tech companies, local and global supply chain partners, researchers, SMEs, and startups, problem-solving and exploring new technologies in a live environment.
It focuses on three key areas: supply chain and logistics; supporting an interconnected Port City; and maritime policy development with sustainability as a core function and outcome in each. We can envision how future port operations will have lower emissions. Through workforce development initiatives, we are establishing career pathways and building a capable, diverse, engaged workforce including racialized groups. The PIER is a tool for HPA to advance UN SDGs 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 16.
A selection of current PIER projects/achievements include:
- MoU with homePORT creates a tangible path between HPA and Hamburg Port Authority as we work to decarbonize the shipping corridor between Halifax and Hamburg.
- Data Enhancement Framework 2 project members include Canada’s Ocean Supercluster, Bluenode Inc, Sentient Hubs, Port Saint John, HPA, and PSA Halifax. The project will focus on implementing an artificial intelligence platform for near real-time monitoring of emissions for effective CO2e mitigation strategies.
- RanMarine WasteShark: Partnership with RanMarine to demonstrate this technology with HPA. WasteShark is an autonomous surface vessel designed to remove floating pollution from waterways and harbours.
- Bell Wireless Private Network (HPA, Bell): Modernizing cruise operations with Bell 5G Private Wireless access; improved network efficiency will enable improved security surveillance, safety monitoring, passenger checkpoint automation, and mobile workplace digital collaboration.
- Joint Operations Centre: Digitizing information and enabling real-time collaboration on port operations between HPA, PSA Halifax and CN leading to new efficiencies for cargo operations and improved operational planning results.