For ten consecutive years, Abu Dhabi Ports Group (ADPG) has been running the “Safety in the Heat” Campaign, in partnership with the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratization and the Abu Dhabi Public Health Center (ADPHC). It runs annually in the summer months, between 15th June – 15th September 2023 with the aim to safeguard employees, workers, and visitors across the group from illnesses and injuries related to heat exposure.
Acknowledging the sensitivity of this safety category and recognizing the risks associated with heat as a top priority safety issue especially with the extreme weather conditions in the region, ADPG took on control measures to avoid heat injuries and enable employees to understand the risks associated with heat exposure and provide them with the required knowledge to perform work safely during extreme weather conditions.
Several comprehensive initiatives are carried out and enhanced annually to meet strategic targets which are in line with the legal requirements, in order to ensure appropriate precautions are in place to establish and preserve a safe and healthy work environment.
Respective ADPG initiatives include:
- Providing trainings and awareness sessions related to heat stress prevention, symptoms detection and emergency measures to enhance safety and safeguard public health.
- Conducting Toolbox Talks to educate employees on the hazards of consuming food and drinks which can make them more susceptible to heat related injuries and illnesses and providing pre-job training prior to working in high temperature and or humidity environments.
- Scheduling physical activities in the summer months during the coolest part of the day and appropriate breaks for the employees working outside.
- Ensuring employees are medically fit and able to perform their assigned duties safely during summers months by measuring their biometric body hydration levels before and after their physical activities.
- Providing Air-conditioned portacabins, resting shelters, and drinking water & electrolytes drinks for employees working outside.
- Carrying on periodic monitoring to ensure the application of legal requirements.
- Developing adverse weather conditions procedures and communicating environmental conditions to employees.
- Ensuring the ADPG emergency number is communicated to all employees.
- Informing employees on how to detect early dehydration symptoms.
The Safety in the Heat Campaign project offers a model that can be replicated in other countries around the world.