The Ulsan port, a world-class port which manages liquid bulk cargo, has established the necessary port facilities and an inclusive safety net to protect the safety of the entire port and its users. The Ulsan Port Authority (UPA), governing body of the Ulsan Port, sets up and operates safety control measures designed to ensure a safe Ulsan Port.
First, UPA formulated countermeasures against explosions and incidents involving hazardous materials reflecting the characteristics of the port.
- Ulsan Port strives to ensure that prompt response is given in the event of a disaster by establishing collaboration system with related public institutions and private companies.
- Ulsan Port has established a standard system for information exchange between quay (terminal) and ships for tankers carrying liquid cargo that enter the port. It has also produced and distributed respective safety checklists.
- The port provides ship familiarization training to make sure that fire-fighters dispatched on land can carry out safety procedures smoothly during an explosion or other incident involving hazardous materials.
- Furthermore, UPA conducted a joint on-site training with Korean government agency (Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries) and its safety subcontractor together with the global liquid bulk shipping company.
Secondly, UPA took action to prevent safety accidents for quay workers.
- At UPA’s Safety Management Department, safety experts and staff working at the relevant companies of the port work together to identify and tackle respective safety challenges.
- UPA strives to build an inclusive safety net to ensure that blind spots are not missed. To achieve this, strict control measures over lashing operators for ships (ship anchoring) were implemented and safety training is provided to even temporary port visitors.
- UPA developed indicators to measure the safety of unloading and loading cargo operations for the first time in Korea. UPA selected the quantified indicators and established a formula to measure port safety level. Through these efforts, UPA established a continuous port safety management system including safety assessments, feedback seeking and taking of corrective measures.
Furthermore, UPA targeted the safe navigation of ships accessing the port.
- It has supported safe berthing of ships by utilizing a ship’s berthing monitoring system applying AI technology for the first time in the world.
- It has assisted safe navigation of ships at night and safe berthing by using the patented “detachable edge protection device at port”.
- It has operated a real-time safety information transmission system utilizing social-networking platforms.
Through its overall dedicated safety management efforts, UPA aims to keep its quays, ships calling at the port and all port employees as safe as possible.